Templates are pre-made visuals you can use in Descript scenes. They can contain supplementary elements like backgrounds, title cards, or lower thirds — or they can be entire scenes that you use across multiple videos. Use templates to speed up your workflow, to create consistent visual identity across your videos, or for easy branding. You can use our stock templates or create your own custom templates.
Applying templates to a scene
- Open a project; from the editor, select at the top of your app to view the template gallery.
- Click on the side tabs to view various templates; hover over a thumbnail to preview a scene. You can browse both your custom templates under My templates or view stock templates under Gallery.
- Drag and drop the template into the Script Editor or onto the scene timeline. You can select a scene thumbnail and then just click the template you’d like to add, or drag and drop it onto the Canvas.
Creating custom templates
Create a template project to design and store the scenes of your custom template.
- Open the Templates tab in your Drive View
- Select New Template in the top right corner.
Once you’ve finished designing the scenes in your template, you need to publish the template so you can use it in your projects.
- If you haven’t already, name your project in the app bar at the top of the editor screen.
- Select Publish template in the top right corner.
- Name each scene in your template and set the thumbnail.
- Select Publish template in the bottom right corner.
After publishing, you can find it under My templates, by clicking on the at the top of the app.
Can I save scenes from a “normal” composition as templates?
If you created a scene in a composition and now want to save it in your custom templates:
- Select the scene thumbnail, right-click, and select Copy.
- Go back to your Drive View, select the Templates tab, and open or create a template project.
- Select or create an empty scene.
- Select the scene thumbnail, right-click, and select Paste.
- If you want to remove the template’s script media, highlight the text in your Script Editor and delete it.
Sharing custom templates with drive members
When you publish a template, it will be private — only accessible through your account. But you can share published custom templates with other drive members:
- Navigate to the Templates tab in the Drive View and click on the template you want to share.
- Select Publish changes and click the link icon in the bottom right corner to copy a sharable link.
- Share the link with a drive member. After they open the link in a web browser, they can select Copy to my templates to save it in their template drawer.