Descript provides support for automatic transcription in 23 different languages, listed below:
Beta supported language
Descript is currently beta testing language support various languages: Hindi and Greek. Users who would like to participate in testing can learn more about how to download Descript Beta and join the Beta community to provide feedback here.
Multiple languages in a single file and translation are not supported
Descript will only transcribe the currently selected language. If you have a file that contains multiple languages, you'll need to add/transcribe it separately for each language. Once complete, you can copy and paste the sections you need into your main composition.
Translation of files is also not supported at this time.
Setting a language when transcribing a file
- Anytime you add an untranscribed project file or file from your computer to your script, you can set the transcription language.
- You can set your default transcription language and have Descript always ask for the transcription language before transcribing from your app preferences.
Re-transcribing a file if you accidentally selected the wrong language
Re-transcribing a file will deduct additional transcription minutes from your monthly transcription hours.
If you accidentally had the wrong language selected during transcription, you can always re-transcribe the file:
- Make sure you enable Always ask before transcribing in your app preferences.
- Open your media library and locate the file within the Project files tab
- Select to the right of the file name and select Re-transcribe file.
- Select your transcription language and press Done.
Unsupported features multi-language features
While multi-language transcription is available for most Descript editing features, there are a few notable exceptions:
- Filler word detection - Filler words are not included in automatic transcripts other than English.
- Detect transcription errors
- Live transcription during recording
- White Glove Transcription
- Replace transcript
- Import transcript
- Transcription glossary