Before transferring ownership:
- The project owner can change ownership of projects they own on their private or drive workspaces, or any projects they've created on other drives that they are a member of. This is the recommended process for off-boarding team members.
- Drive owners can only change ownership of other member's projects on their Drive workspace, if they have explicitly been added as a member by the project owner beforehand.
- The person who will be the new owner must be an editor member or the drive owner on the same drive the project is on.
- Be sure you're ready to transfer ownership! Learn more about project ownership.
How to Transfer Ownership of a Project to Another User
- From the Drive View, click on the far right of the project title.
- Select Project Access from the dropdown menu.
- Type the new owner's email into the text box and select invite to project.
- You'll see the user added to the list of people who have project access. Select the box to the right of their name and choose make owner from the list of options.
- Please note that if the invited user is not currently a member of the Drive, they will first need to accept the invitation (via email) before the option to make them the Owner will appear.
- Select Transfer ownership in the confirmation window to finish transferring the project.
Ownership is transferred immediately and can only be changed by the current owner of the project.
You can also transfer ownership following the same steps from within a project; just open the project access panel in the main editor and follow from step 3.