Descript can automatically transcribe 23 different languages.
|Available transcription languages|
Beta supported languages
Descript is currently beta testing Hindi and Greek. Join the Beta community to provide feedback.
Set your transcription language and preferences
The first time you import and transcribe files in Descript, you will be prompted to set the transcription language. Learn more about importing and transcribing files.
You can change your transcription language and toggle on or off Always ask for language before transcribing from your App settings.
Re-transcribing after choosing incorrect language
If you accidentally had the wrong language selected during transcription, you can always re-transcribe the file:
- Make sure you enable Always ask before transcribing in your App settings.
- Keep in mind that re-transcribing a file will deduct transcription minutes from your monthly transcription hours.
- At the top of the editor, click to open the Media library.
- Select and view the Files tab.
- Select to the right of the file name and select Re-transcribe file.
- Set your transcription language.
- Press Transcribe.
Unsupported multi-language features
There are a few notable features that are only supported for English transcription:
- Detect transcription errors
- Filler word detection - Filler words are not included in automatic transcripts other than English.
- Import transcript
- Live transcription during recording
- Replace transcript
- Transcription glossary
- White Glove Transcription
Inverse Text Normalization (ITN)
ITN is only supported in English, French, and Spanish. ITN is the programming logic that translates numbers to common-use formats (for example, converting "Nineteen Forty-Five" into "1945").
Translation and multi-language files
- Descript will only transcribe the currently selected language. If you have a file containing multiple languages, you'll need to transcribe it separately for each language.
- Translation is currently not supported.