Compositions set to audio only will not contain scenes or the Canvas. These two elements in Descript are primarily used when creating video content; in an audio only composition, you’ll work in the Script Editor, Properties Panel, and Timeline.
Check out our audio editing tutorial for a full walkthrough on working with audio content in Descript.
- You can set your default project setting from your app preferences; click , select Preferences, and change the default project setting to Audio.
- From within a project, you can toggle compositions between video or audio only; Click in the top right of the script editor and select Switch to video/audio only.
Adding stock media, a template, or a file or sequence containing visuals will switch your composition to a video. Use Undo to revert the change and return to an audio only composition, or click in the top right of the script editor and select Switch to audio only.
Considerations when switching from video and audio only
If you have a composition where you have created video content, there are a few things to remember before switching your composition to audio only.
- If you do not need to edit the content further, you can always export your video composition as an audio file.
- Video layers will still be in your timeline when switching to audio only.
- You cannot export a video file while working in an audio only composition; you will need to switch the composition back to a video to export a video file.