The Timeline is one of the editor panels in Descript. While the majority of your editing will be done from the Script Editor and Canvas, the Timeline is useful for:
- Fine-tuning script-based audio edits (i.e. adjusting the boundary trim, adding crossfades)
- Expanding / contracting the space between words
- Adding clip transitions
- Working with music and sound effects in your composition
There are five main sections of the Timeline:
- The transport allows you to access the playback features of your composition.
- The time ruler shows the time position of media in your composition; if you are working with video, you will also see scene boundaries on the ruler.
- The layer lane displays the active layer or all layers when show all layers is enabled as well as your scenes.
- The wordbar shows you exactly where words in your script are aligned to the script media.
- The script track unique track that contains all your script media; please note you may need to expand your timeline to see the script track.