The Properties Panel is one of five editor panels in Descript. It allows you to view and adjust the properties of almost everything you select in your project, including the script, scenes, layers, and clips.
The Properties Panel displays properties of your current selection. You can see what is currently selected at the top of the panel.
The contents of the Properties Panel will change anytime you select something else in your composition. If you do not have anything selected, the Properties Panel will display:
- The script's properties if you were last selecting something in the Script editor.
- The active scene's properties if you were last selecting something in the Canvas or Timeline.
View composition audio properties
Click on the composition title to view and adjust the audio properties of your entire composition.
View script properties
- Place your cursor anywhere in your script in the Script Editor.
- Select your script video layer in the Canvas (script video layers will be outlined in purple when selected)
View non-script layer properties
If you want to view the properties of layers that are not in your script:
- Select the visual layer in the Canvas (layers not in your script will be outlined in blue when selected and the script section over which it extends will be underlined in blue)
- Select in the Script Editor (the icon will be green when selected and the script section over which it extends will be underlined in green)
Selecting layers from the Timeline
In most cases, you'll want to select layers from either the Script Editor and Canvas. If you are working in the Timeline and would like to select layers from there:
- enable Show all layers in the top right corner of the Timeline.
- Click on any layer above the wordbar and script track.
View scene properties
- Select a scene thumbnail from the Script Editor.
- Select a scene boundary in the Script Editor.
- Click anywhere outside the active scene in the Canvas.
- Select the scene or time ruler at the top of the Timeline. You can also select scenes by clicking and placing your playhead anywhere in the timeline, just be careful not to select your script or other layer accidentally.
Apply to all scenes
After making changes to items in your scenes you may notice the option to Apply to all scenes in the properties panel. Clicking this option will apply the change to all other scenes in the composition automatically to save you the effort of manually making the change.
Currently apply to all scenes does not support layer order changes.