Speaker Detective is a straightforward, AI-powered super sleuth that automatically applies speaker labels for you. Just select the number of speakers and let the AI work while you focus on more important tasks. Once it's done, just fill in the labels for each identified speaker and you're set. Descript applies the labels automatically across your composition.
Using Speaker Detection
Speaker Detection is supported with files less than 2 hours long
- Initiate an automatic transcription for a file or files; a transcription confirmation window will appear.
- Click the Enter Speaker Name text box and mouse over to Detect Speakers. Select the number of speakers on the track to get started. Speaker Detection will run as your file is automatically transcribed. Typically, a 60-minute file takes 2–3 minutes, but a notification will alert you when it’s done.
- When the notification appears, click Identify speakers.
- When prompted, click the Get started button and then listen through the audio prompts to identify who’s speaking. Add the speaker's name, or select an existing name from the list.
- When you’ve listened to all of the audio samples, click Close and the Speaker labels will appear in your transcript.
Your speakers are now labeled. Once you add labels, Descript will remember them and apply them intelligently even as you cut, copy, and paste among compositions.
How to initiate speaker detection after transcribing a file
If you didn't identify speakers when initially transcribing your file, don’t worry: you can still do it afterwards from the Media library.