The Descript Screen Recorder makes it easy to capture video of your desktop and webcam for your projects. You can even share your recordings, or add them to a project to edit the recording further!
Screen Recorder Menu
The Screen Recorder menu provides quick access to your main recording options.
Screen / Camera Selector
Switch between Screen (computer desktop) or Camera (currently MacOS only) views.
- Webcam selection - selecting a webcam will open a small preview window in the lower-left corner of your screen. You may click on the webcam preview and drag it to any location on your desktop.
- Audio input device - choose which input device / microphone you would like to record your audio from.
- Computer audio recording - This allows you to enable recording system audio from other applications.
- Automatic transcription - When enabled, this feature will automatically transcribe your recorded speech.
- Other options (ellipsis button) - This provides access to the following additional options:
- Preferences - this will open additional Screen Recorder Preferences.
- Open Drive View - this will open a new Drive View window.
- Quit - click this to exit Descript and the Screen Recorder application.
Making a Screen Recording
To make a screen recording, click on the Start screen recording button on the Screen Recording menu, or press the configured Start/Stop recording keyboard shortcut. You will be prompted to use your mouse to drag a box outlining the desired screen area you would like to record. Alternatively you may press Space on the keyboard or Click with the mouse to begin recording the full desktop.
For users who are making a Screen recording, Descript will automatically indicate any on-screen mouse clicks with a black circle border around the mouse:
Once you have completed a recording, you may either click on the Stop icon, or press the recording shortcut to stop recording.
Next you will be prompted to edit and publish your Screen Recorder using the Quick Editor. Here you can tidy up your screen recording, then click Publish and copy link to send it to the web. Or, if you're looking for the full features of the Descript editor, you can click Edit in Descript.
Quick Editor Disabled
If you've opted to disable the Quick Editor in the Preferences menu, a link to your recording will be copied to the clipboard and a preview box will open in the lower-right corner of your screen. There you will have the option to:
- View in browser
- Close the preview
Pasting a published link into the Editor
Descript allows you to easily paste the link to your published recording directly into Descript to begin editing the file immediately.
As a clip in the pinned track
Place the cursor at the beginning of or within a paragraph and paste the link.
As a clip in the timeline track
Place the cursor on a newline and paste the link.
Viewing Screen Recordings
You can view all of your screen recordings by navigating to the Drive View (File > Open Drive View) and clicking on the Pages option in the "My Recordings" section of the left-hand sidebar. Filter only your screen recordings by clicking on the Screen Recording option, or by filtering the list at the top of the page.
Quitting the Screen Recorder App
To quit Screen Recorder, you can simply close out the Descript app:
- MacOS - click Command + Q, or Descript > Quit Descript
- Windows - Click the 'X' button at the top-right of the open windows, or File > Close Window on all of the open windows.
- Opening the Screen Recorder Menu
- Clicking on the Preferences ellipsis (...) button at the right.
- Selecting Quit.