Create a new Overdub Voice
If you've already created a voice previously, click the blue + Create new Voice button in the top-right corner. You'll be prompted to add a name for your new voice, then click Confirm when complete.
You'll be directed to a new Overdub training project that includes instructions for how to create your voice on the right-hand sidebar.
Accessing the training instructions
If you've closed the instructions and want to view them again, click the Instructions button (to the left of the blue Submit button) at the top of the project.
Add training data
The first step is to upload or record your training data. You may do so in one of 3 ways:
- Import and transcribe pre-recorded media (must contain at least 10 minutes of your voice, ideally in similar recording conditions as your VoiceID statement - any other voice audio will not be counted)
- If you already have your voice recorded in another project you may either Create an Overdub Voice from an existing Project, or simply copy and paste your voice media from another Project into your Overdub training Project.
- If you don't have a recording of your own voice on hand, you may record at least 10 minutes of your own voice as training data using Descript's built-in audio recorder. Feel free to use our Overdub Main Training Script if you're looking for inspiration.
- Descript is able to handle occasional errors in your spoken audio, so feel free to continue recording even if you make the occasional mistake or mispronunciation.
- Speak clearly and naturally as if you're speaking to your audience/subject so the resulting voice matches your normal speaking voice.
- For pre-recorded content, we recommend that each audio file contain similar recording conditions and expressiveness for best results.
More recording suggestions can be found in our article Overdub Voice Quality Tips.
Record your Voice ID and Submit
Once complete, you may click the Submit training data button.
You will be prompted to record your Voice ID consent statement. Click the Record button and read the displayed statement, then click the stop button once complete:
You may now click the Submit button to start the training process. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours to complete the training. We'll send you an email as soon as it's ready to start making Overdubs.
Retrain your Voice
Once your Overdub voice has finished training, you may go back at any time to add, remove or re-record your training data. Once complete, you may click the Submit training data button again and you will be prompted to either update your Voice ID, or Submit to retrain your voice.
Learn more about Overdub
Check out other articles on our help desk to learn how to use it effectively. Starting with our article Adding Overdub to a Composition.