Descript’s Import Transcript feature lets you import an existing transcript and sync it with its corresponding audio — turning it into a full-fledged Descript project.
Descript will automatically detect key attributes in the imported transcript, like Speaker Labels, and insert them into your Project using the following rules:
- Lines beginning with a name followed by a colon will be converted into Speaker Labels.
- Timestamps in brackets will be ignored.
- Anything in parentheses or brackets (other than timestamps) will be converted into Notes.
Here are some additional tips for getting the best results:
- Make sure the transcript matches the audio recording. If there’s speech in the audio that isn’t reflected in your existing transcript — or the transcript includes dialogue that isn’t in the audio — you may get sub-par results. Keep an eye out for banter at the beginning or end of the recording that may have been omitted from the transcript.
- Don’t worry if the transcript omits occasional filler (uhm, uh) or duplicate words — Descript is smart enough to work around minor discrepancies.