If you're looking to keep all of your project files stored in a specific location or you're running low on hard drive space, Descript allows you to change the location of your offline media so you can keep your files organized.
Please note that when you change the location of your local files, they are not moved directly. Any local files will be removed from their current storage location and re-synced from the cloud when you open your projects.
Avoid data corruption
Please make sure to follow the steps below to change the Descript folder's storage location. Manually changing the folder's contents could corrupt your data.
How to change the storage location:
- From the top right corner of the Drive view, click your profile picture.
Click Settings to open the App settings.
- Select Change to the right of Offline storage location...
- A dialog panel will appear; click Select location at the bottom of the panel.
Choose the location you want to set for your Descript folder moving forward.
- Select Confirm and relaunch.
- At this point, you will be automatically logged out of the Descript application. Click the Sign in to Descript button to re-authenticate into the app, and your project files will be relocated to the location you specified when you open each project.
What happens if my storage location is offline, or missing?
In the event that the drive location is offline or the specified storage folder is inaccessible, Descript will pop up a notification window. You will have the opportunity to either:
- Retry - This will re-attempt to connect to the drive / folder location you have specified.
- Reset location to default - This will reset the location of offline files back to the main system hard drive location. You will again be logged out and asked to Sign in to Descript.
Resetting the default storage location
If you decide later on that you would like to reset the media files storage location back to the Descript default you may:
- Manually delete the folder currently set as the storage location for your files.
- Fully quit and reload Descript.
- When prompted that the storage location can no longer be found, choose the option to Reset location to default and Descript will automatically re-configure the default location.