In the guide, we'll show you the steps for setting up and making a video recording using Descript.
How to record video in Descript
Set up your video recording
- At the top of the editor, click and open the Record panel.
- Select Camera.
- Click Settings and make adjustments to your recording settings as needed. Click here to learn more about recording settings.
- Choose your audio inputs by clicking on the computer audio icon or microphone icon. If both are enabled, the inputs will be recorded on separate tracks.
- Click Settings and decide if you want to add Studio Sound, transcribe, or record separate audio tracks.
- If you'd like, add speaker labels by typing them in the text box next to your inputs.
Record your video
- Choose one of the three recording options from the dropdown in the bottom right corner of the recording panel:
- Record into script — this will add your recording to your script track.
- Replace selection — this option is available when you highlight a section of your script before opening the record panel and will replace the script selection. Learn more about Replace selection
- Record new layer — add your recording as a video layer. If you haven't recorded anything yet, you'll want to record into script first.
- Click Record at the bottom of the Record panel to start recording.
- Press the Stop to end the recording.
If you recorded computer audio or enabled record separate audio tracks, each input will be recorded on separate tracks and put into a multitrack sequence. You can edit the individual tracks from the Sequence editor. Learn more about sequences or using the Sequence editor.
Tips and best practices
- Before making your full screen recording, consider doing a 5 to 10 second test recording to make sure you have set everything up correctly.
- If you need to transcribe the recording afterwards, right click the recording in your script and choose transcribe file; or, you can transcribe the file from the media library. If you recorded multiple tracks, you'll need to transcribe the individual files from the media library.
- If you want to apply Studio Sound after recording, check out how to add Studio Sound to a single file, or how to add Studio Sound to tracks in a sequence