In the guide, we'll show you the steps for setting up and making a video recording using Descript.
How to record video in Descript
Set up your video recording
- At the top of the editor, click and open the Record panel.
- Select Camera.
- Click Settings and make adjustments to your recording settings as needed. Click here to learn more about recording settings.
- Choose your audio inputs by clicking on the computer audio icon or microphone icon. If both are enabled, the inputs will be recorded on separate tracks.
- Click Settings and decide if you want to add Studio Sound, transcribe, or record separate audio tracks.
- If you'd like, add speaker labels by typing them in the text box next to your inputs.
Include in script
This setting is available in video compositions that already contain content in the script. Generally, if you plan on transcribing and script-editing the recording, keep include in script enabled. If you need to record b-roll or background audio, just toggle it off. Disabling the setting will add the recording as a layer in your scene.
Record your video
- Click and hold on the camera preview window to move it to the desired location, and click and drag on the window's edge to resize it.
- Click the button across the bottom of the Record panel to start recording.
- Press the Stop to end the recording.
If you recorded computer audio or enabled record separate audio tracks, each input will be recorded on separate tracks and put into a multitrack sequence. You can edit the individual tracks from the Sequence editor. Learn more about sequences or using the Sequence editor.
Tips and best practices
- Before making your full screen recording, consider doing a 5 to 10 second test recording to make sure you have set everything up correctly.
- If you enable transcription during the recording, you can script-edit as you record!
- If you need to transcribe the recording afterwards, right click the recording in your script and choose transcribe file; or, you can transcribe the file from the media library. If you recorded multiple tracks, you'll need to transcribe the individual files from the media library.
- If you want to apply Studio Sound after recording, check out how to add Studio Sound to a single file, or how to add Studio Sound to tracks in a sequence